Thursday, January 7, 2010

Eyre Retires


Scot Eyre is retiring from baseball after 13 seasons in the Majors. He finished his career 28-30 with a 4.23 ERA in 617 appearances with the Chicago White Sox, Toronto Blue Jays, San Francisco Giants, Chicago Cubs and Phillies. (MLB) Eyre pitched pretty damn good for the Phils in his year and a half with the team. 1.50 ERA in '09.

I remember being at Wrigley field in '08 right after the Phils picked him up. I asked a cubs fan about him and they basically said he stinks. 2 pennants, and a World Series ring later, Eyre is retiring from the game. He had some good things to say about the Phils.

"Every day I think about what I'm going to miss," he said. "I'm going to miss going to the clubhouse. Being with the Phillies, I'm going to miss seeing Chad Durbin sitting at his locker doing the crossword puzzle. I'm going to miss watching Brad [Lidge] read his biblical books in his locker after batting practice, eating the biggest sandwich I've ever seen anybody eat. I've talked to guys about it. I talked to [Jon] Lieber about it. Basically, you miss the camaraderie with the guys. And the Phillies' clubhouse is great. That's one of the reasons why Cliff [Lee] didn't want to leave. It's one of the best clubhouses you could be in. I don't care what anybody says about theirs. I've been in a few of them. This is one of the best. I never once said, 'I don't want to go to the field today.'"

Good luck with them loose bodies Eyre.

No comments:

Post a Comment