Monday, August 3, 2009

Bradley Out with Torn ACL

WIP’s Howard Eskin is reporting that Stewart Bradley has a torn ACL and will miss the entire 2009 season.  This is a huge blow to the Eagles defense. Bradley, second on the team in tackles last season, looked to be an up-and-coming star in the NFL, and without him the Birds have a pretty big hole to fill at MLB. Currently, second year player Joe Mays is listed as Bradley’s backup. Mays was selected in the 6th Round last year from North Dakota State, he is listed as 5’11” 246 lbs.  Unproven and unknown, it’s anyone’s guess how Mays would respond to the challenge. This is terrible news for an Eagles defense just getting acclimated to a new coordinator after the loss of Jim Johnson, and playing without its emotional leader of the last decade with the departure of Brian Dawkins.   It will be interesting to see how they respond to this setback.

 

5 comments:

  1. Bad news. Gaithier has some experience but wasn't all that good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a huge blow to the Defense. I saw Bradley at Wilkie Lexus on the Main Line not too long ago and that guy is enormous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I'm not impressed with Bradley like most people seem to be. He's a liability in coverage and gets blown up by mediocre tight ends too easily. I mean, look at the Giants game. If Eli Manning were a real QB and not a girl, Kevin Boss would have had a career day the way he was blowing Bradley up.

    I mean, I'm not all that enamored with Gaither or Mays either, but I don't think it's as bad a downgrade as people are thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I know a couple of people that are not impressed with Bradley at all. And others who love him..

    Was it the Cardinals game where he got run over and pushed into the endzone?

    I remember seeing Mays in training camp and preseason last year and being impressed but I think I also said Lorenzo Booker is going to "steal some carries" because he was fast wearing shorts..which automatically eliminates my credibility.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually here is the email response from one of my friends who never liked Bradley....Though I am not as sold on Gathier as he is.

    Jason M says:
    I thought Bradley was a bum anyway. Every time I watched him play the run he always got blown up by some lineman. He was always getting burned on the pass too. He had a couple flashes of greatness, but nothing I was impressed with. Maybe it was only the times I was watching him I don't know. Joe Mays is OK, but I think they might try and move Omar Gaither back to the middle. He is a big boy and if he has the starting job without having to worry about losing it I think he will be good. I have always liked Gaither. Let's see if he can get the job done. Like I said though, Joe Mays is not that bad. I think this is only his 2nd or maybe 3rd year. The Eagles D has never relied on stud middle linebackers anyway. I am a little worried about the injuries I am hearing about so far though. Maybe it's just that the veterans don't like to practice and go through camp so a lot of them could be fake injuries.

    ReplyDelete